Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So its been sorta tough to get to the blog lately because the internet has been so unreliable. but right now its working so ill take advantage. Last night I went to Museros- another preferente team. When I got there the coach said i could practice with them but he didnt have any spots open on the team. I figured I would play anyways. Bad News: Facing a lot of rejection from soccer teams. Good News: Last night was the first night that I was really happy with how I played. While I dont have any teams especially interested in me right now, I have improved since the first time I played here more than I could ever have expected to. While the Rapids season was a challenge, the soccer here is developing a forgotten area of my game. The pace and strength of this preferente level is forcing me to play with my head up and think quicker. My first tryouts here were frustrating because I seemed to never be able to find an option and consequently held on to the ball too long. Now, I'm thinking and acting quicker. Im excited for tryouts to come because I believe that in the month or so I have been here I have finally started to adapt to the level of soccer I want to play here. While constant rejection from teams is frustrating, my confidence is growing. I believe that this year, despite what team I make, I will vastly improve from just a season ago and am excited to show the new soccer me to college coaches at some point in the future.
Today, I have no teams to practice with. Yesterday was rough. But with the amount of teams out here my determination has not been detered. Today Ariel has offered to help find teams on a website suggested by the coach last night and he said he'll call them up. I can get by with Spanish face to face but over the phone it is impossible. I also think Mom might have been right when she said I listened to the TV too loud because I now find it very difficult to talk on the phone to anybody, even in English. Oh well, everybody says that the communication in our world is increasingly more impersonal so maybe I'll just claim that I'm fighting a world without human interaction.
The last few days here its actually been cloudy which has been fantastic. There was even a slight drizzle this morning. When its like this I always go to the cafe downstairs and have a coffee and read the newspaper in the morning. I love how empty the streets are and the air seems so fresh.
Last night, me, Ariel, and Mary Jose went to the Kebab place after soccer. I was dying of thirst so I had three waters and a coke- which is unbelievably expensive here. A tiny bottle of water is like 2.50 euros. An angry debate over U.S. policy ensued. As they continually denounced capitalism as a moraless greedy plot devised by George Bush and Dick Cheney to take over all the oil in the world and then put poor people on the streets, I found it really hard to argue in Spanish. After they would say something I would sit and go over each word in my head to understand it. By the time I understood they would start on with something else. I am really sick of all these Europeans taking shots at the Bush Administration. While I don't agree with many of his decisions these people need to get their facts straight. They call the U.S. imperialist but then critisize for lack of action in third world countries. Apparently, news of U.S. aid to other countries doesn't reach Spain. Also, even though the number one source of income in Mexico is money sent from immigrants in the U.S., legal and illegal, the U.S. is "repressing" those poor people. It was a tad frustrating.
Mary Jose did explain to me what a CV is and what finding a job here entails. I'm a lot less intimidated now. The CV is just a resume but a really informal resume. I went to a lot of cafes and bars to ask about job opportunities a couple weeks ago and all of them said that they needed people. I think this is a good industry for me because i am told that my spanish will improve quickly. Also, all of the lounges and cafes on the beach said they are looking to hire people so once soccer is a little more concrete I think I may get a job there.
I also thought that in Sunday night's Entourage episode E was extremely dissapointing. I now have very little respect for the man I had admired so much this season. He is back to being the little guy. Have a good day everybody! I'm going to blog more often! I mean it this time!
Anyways, I should get back to my search of soccer teams.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to talk to you this morning. Thx for updating...keep on blogging...
    I Love U,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete